Refried black beans and fried plantains elevate this easy meal from traditional snack food to a hearty main course. You won’t miss the cheese but you WILL wonder where this chipotle aioli has been all your life! Pair the quesadillas with salad tossed in pico de gallo for a fresh, easy side dish. Save the chipotle aioli to spice up your meals throughout the week. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Yield: 4 servings, plus leftover chipotle aioli
Heaping 1/3 cup of pre-soaked cashews
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 2 tbsp of the sauce
1 medium tomato
1 tbsp lime juice
1 garlic clove
Slightly less than ½ tsp of sea salt
3 very ripe spotted plantains
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp sea salt, more to taste
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 cup vegetarian refried black beans
4 large whole-wheat tortillas
Pico de gallo
Plain vegan yogurt
1. Make the aioli. Add the cashews, peppers and sauce, tomato, lime juice, garlic and salt it to a high
speed blender. Blend for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth.
2. Put a large pan over medium heat.
3. Peel the plantains and slice them into 1-inch (2.5-cm) rounds. Add the oil to the pan. Wait 30
seconds, then add the plantains. Sprinkle the plantains with ½teaspoon of sea salt and agave. Fry
to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
4. Line a plate with paper towels. Transfer the fried plantains to the paper towels, wipe off the excess
oil, then discard the paper towels. Use the bottom of a large plate to smash the plantains to half the
original thickness. Wipe the pan, then place it back over medium heat.
5. Spread half the refried beans on one large tortilla. Taste the beans and add a pinch of salt if
needed. Put half of the fried plantains over the beans. Spread 2 large spoonfuls of aioli on a
second tortilla and place it on top of the plantains.
6. Fry the quesadillas until slightly crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Slice them in half. Serve with
pico de gallo, yogurt, and a side salad and dig in!
This recipe excerpt is from 30-Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going to Crave by Megan Sadd (Page Street Publishing, Feb 2019)