“The Boy Crisis brilliantly explores the challenges facing our sons—and everyone. The sections on ADHD, the role of mothering and fathering, and developing boys’ health intelligence are priceless and life-changing.”—Suzanne Somers
“Original, thoughtful, and filled with gems of practical wisdom to understand and support the future of boys.”—Jack Canfield, coauthor of the #1 New York Times bestselling Chicken Soup for the Soul® series
The Boy Crisis by Dr. Warren Farrell and John Gray (BenBella Books) examines the issues plaguing young males and provides solutions for raising boys to grow up healthy and productive members of society.
What is the boy crisis?
It’s a crisis of education. Worldwide, boys are 50 percent less likely than girls to meet basic proficiency in reading, math, and science.
It’s a crisis of mental health. ADHD is on the rise. And as boys become young men, their suicide rates go from equal to girls to six times that of young women.
It’s a crisis of fathering. Boys are growing up with less-involved fathers and are more likely to drop out of school, drink, do drugs, become delinquent, and end up in prison.
It’s a crisis of purpose. Boys’ old sense of purpose—being a warrior, a leader, or a sole breadwinner—are fading. Many bright boys are experiencing a “purpose void,” feeling alienated, withdrawn, and addicted to immediate gratification.
The Boy Crisis is a comprehensive blueprint for what parents, teachers, and policymakers can do to help our sons become happier, healthier men, and fathers and leaders worthy of our respect.
Although this book discusses a variety of crises boys are facing today, one crisis in particular has been sparking conversations all over North America: the correlation of violence in boys and absent fathers.
See what reporters are saying about The Boy Crisis in the articles listed below.
- "Link between mass shooters, absent fathers ignored by anti-gun activists" -- The Washington Times
- "Mass Shooters, Absent Fathers: The Link Most Anti-Gun Activist Ignore" -- CBN News
- "Family crisis links terrorists, mass shooters, hate groups" -- The Wilson Times
- "Blame, frustration, isolation: Finding common threads in school shooters" -- Mic
- "Dr. Warren Farrell: Understanding how boys who hurt, hurt us" -- CBS8 News
- "'The Boy Crisis' that may save us yet" -- Kitsap Sun